Sunday 18 October 2015

My Sub Cultured Life

MODS

My first tribe was when I was 12.  I wanted to be a Mod. I made my folks drive me to Nottingham, where we trolled around all the shops looking for pencil thin Staypress trousers. Button down collar shirts and black loafers, with toggles, were next. I wanted a Crombie coat but that was a step too far for their pockets. I settled for a zip-up light-weight jacket called a Harrington. No surprise to me, or my folks, that I wanted all the stuff the boys wore. A tomboy until my mid 20's! 

I didn’t dare ask to cut my hair in the short Mod styles. I was too young. So, I didn’t really join in, but felt great togged up in my cool clothes.



NORTHERN SOUL

Then I met and fell in love with Alan Riding at the tender age of 15. I didn’t have to go too far to meet him, as we were In the same class. He was into Northern Soul and used to collect records, as he was a Dj. We would travel to clubs in Nottingham and Sheffield, all the way from Skegness. I wore the cool soul clothes of the day. Very baggy trousers or a long shirt with pockets on. Although I loved the music it never took hold of me like the Jazz Funk scene did. 

It was like an effortless transission from Northern Soul to Funk, as very often a place like the Notts Pally (Palais) would have two floors, each catering to the crossing over scenes.








JAZZ FUNK

Soon we had made the jump and were going to Jazz Funk all-nighters in places like Leeds, where they played Donna Summer’s - I Feel Love. It felt intoxicating until it was past my bed time and I had fallen asleep in the corner. Plus, I love the clothes more as they were Americanised and glamorous. 

The highlight event of the annual calendar was the Caister Soul Weekender. It was chalet life, dressing up and dancing. Then the DJ God’s were Robbie Vincent and Chris Hill. I could go on forever and ever about this scene, as I was active in it for many years. Loved Funkadelic. Saw tham at Mancherster Apollo in 1980. Plus LOADS of other bands too.




SWING (ROCK & ROLL)

I moved to London when I was 26 and discovered the Rock and Roll scene. I went to jive classes and was soon dancing the night away. Everyone was very friendly. Met Nino who runs Lady Luck and he’s still a friend today! 
I used to have a classic car – a Volvo Sports P1800s. White with red leather interior, that was a pain in the arse. I loved going to classic car shows and Rock & Roll clubs. 




FETISH

Just a few short years later I went to San Francisco on holiday met a TV dominatrix who subsequently came to London, where she invited me to a club. That was Submission and here I am on the fetish scene all these years later. 

The fetish scene has kept me amused and occupied for the last 28 years. It has given me the best social life ever, introduced me to some amazing and creative people and afforded me a living. It never let's me down and is my enduring love that will see me into my old age, as it’s neither ageist, sexist, raciest or any other ‘ist’. It allows me to stay where my heart lies - in fetish attire – forever glamourous! Viva la fetish.

The rest, as they say, is quite literally history!


Taken at the Skin Two Rubber Ball over 20 years ago!

1 comment: