Monday 19 October 2015

Musical Loves

My musical loves include, the band Air. Whenever I go to my house in Spain It's the first sound track I put on. It seems to go perfectly with the sunshine. Then followed closely by Chill Bossa Mamma Mia. My friend Neil A. introduced me to this fabulous CD. It's full of Abba covers to the rhythm of the bossa nova.




This takes me right back to my early 20's and getting ready to go out, only to dance to this type of music all night. A CD of various artists – The Greatest 80's Soul Weekender (disc 1) via @lastfm.

There are loads of Northern Soul tracks that take me back to a time when I was sixteen and desperately in love with my first love Alan. He introduced me to his first love 'soul' music. This film show the dancers 15 years after Northern Soul was at it's height. The must all be about 30/35. 



Love all the tracks on Apollo 440 Dude Decending The Staircase - it's very eclectic. At the last minute I dropped it in my suitcase on a trip to Morocco. I loved all their albums, however, this was Apollo 440's fourth and last studio album. Taking its name from a neo-psycadelic painting by Ausgang, its acid funk influences couldn't be more apparent if they had a photo of George Clinton on the cover (which is proably why I like it). 
We embarked on a road trip across the Atlas Moiuntain and into the Sahara in a Mercades and there was the sounds track to many of the views. I also bought all the Budda Bar CD's in the Marrakesh souk. These turned me on to the talents of Craig Armstrong.





GRAVELANDS CD is Elvis Presley style covers of rock classics by Jimmy THE KING. Its great to play to unsuspecting dinner guests, the look of confusion has started many a conversation. The idea of Elvis who has died covering songs from other artists who have also died. The album opens with Nirvana's " Come as you are" with one of the best bass lines in history and the strange thing is that it works! We are then treated to a version of Joy Division's "Love will tear us apart". Genius.



My radio stations of choice are either Classical, Jazz or Chill FM. Classical is permanatly on in my kitchen. CHILL goes on when folks come over and we are chatting. Jazz when I feel nostalgic.

No comments:

Post a Comment